Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Front Bass Drum Heads?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member drmaybe66's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 19th, 2005
    Posts
    64
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    Hey all,

    My front head tore the other day and before I went out and bought a new one, I wanted to ask if anyone has experienced any difference between a standard plastic factory front head and another batter head with a homemade hole.

    Thoughts?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member drmaybe66's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 19th, 2005
    Posts
    64
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks guys! I forgot to mention that part of it: it's a 20" Maple bass drum, with only a thin towel ("borrowed" from a bar we played!) to keep the front and batter heads from being too tonal. I really like the clean, open sound it gives me.

    Most engineers are pretty surprised that it's only a 20"!!

  3. #3
    Inactive Member sjj123's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 30th, 2003
    Posts
    328
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've been setting mine up like Steve Smith does....Power Stroke 3's front & Back....no hole....felt strip on each head. Good resonance...nice rebound, great sound and feel

  4. #4
    Inactive Member drmaybe66's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 19th, 2005
    Posts
    64
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I tried the no-front-head-hole route for a while, but got really tired of engineers whining when they went to mic the kick!

    Have you recorded without the front hole? How do you keep it from being too tonal? Do engineers mind?

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Suspiria's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 16th, 2004
    Posts
    1,358
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by sjj123:
    I've been setting mine up like Steve Smith does....Power Stroke 3's front & Back....no hole....felt strip on each head. Good resonance...nice rebound, great sound and feel
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Are the vertical line on your picture the felt strips you are referring to?

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ April 27, 2005 04:45 PM: Message edited by: Suspiria ]</font>

  6. #6
    Inactive Member troutbrooke's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 4th, 2005
    Posts
    904
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Canarsie:
    I tried the no-front-head-hole route for a while, but got really tired of engineers whining when they went to mic the kick!
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The only way you'll get away with no hole in the resonant head is if you're doing your own thing. Otherwise, every engineer (live or studio) will laugh first, and then rip it off.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member FlamTriplet's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 26th, 2003
    Posts
    520
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

  8. #8
    Inactive Member drmaybe66's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 19th, 2005
    Posts
    64
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by drumming sort of person:

    Otherwise, every engineer (live or studio) will laugh first, and then rip it off.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's exactly right! One particularly grumpy soundguy actually deflected my canned half-assed excuse of "just haven't had time to drill one yet" by saying "we'll fix that" while kneeling in front of my kit and pulling out his pocket knife!!

    The next time I saw him, I had drilled the hole....

    =)

  9. #9
    Inactive Member CLWarunki's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 21st, 2004
    Posts
    1,475
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The batter heads are almost always much thicker than a front resonant head... so it would dampen the overtones a bit, I tried it and it didn't make much difference, unless you play a wide open bass drum with NO padding inside... if you muffle your bass drum with pillows, then it becomes a "kick drum" and the type of front head is almost irrelevant. It also depends on what kind of vent hole/holes you have put in as well.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member XNavyDrummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2002
    Posts
    871
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've been ripping out the ring found on the resonant bass drum head and really like the increase in volume and bottom end. It's not so choked!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •